Friday 17 December 2010

Glam Nation: Los Angeles II


Sigh. The last Glam Nation concert. Although I'm feeling rather sentimental and will miss the regular performances, I'm ready to take a break and look forward to new material, new spins on old material and new costumes. There's also the DVD to look forward to, along with the Grammys and hopefully some promo appearances on TV. This concert has Adam as what I think is his most relaxed and playful self. Here are my picks:



Adam's makeup incorporates a teardrop and he has turquoise in his hair. He is extremely glittery. There is a carpet of smoke as the smoke machine seems to go into overdrive for the opening medley. Adam plays it up during Fever so watch out for the very camp 'Yeah yeah yeah' in the build-up to the climax. Sleepwalker once again features stunning vocals. There is extended banter at start of WWFM where he tells us that glam is a state of mind. He is both funny and charming. Make sure you catch his villainous and sadistic little laugh. It's back to acoustic for this rendition and I think it's my favourite yet from his gritty belts and soaring improvisations at the end. Amazing. Soaked is beautiful but marred slightly by the audience's inability to zip it. We realise that it's not going to be an Aftermath duet as Adam helps to remove the stools from the stage singing about stools. He explains that it's a little ditty from 'Waiting For Guffman' as he realises it flies over most people's heads.

Adam goes all-out with his singing for SFW and I think he may have pushed it a little too far at the end of Strut which I find a little shouty. MA is fun and we can see Adam and Tommy headbanging in unison during Monte's solo. You have to laugh at his grabby claw and his super-theatrical voice as he heads towards Monte. Adam gets a baseball hat with 'Warning: I fuck back' thrown onto the stage which cracks him up. During the band intros he goes up to Cam's platform and grinds up against her then makes a joke about the plastic screen around Isaac. Tupperware party! After Tommy's basswanking solo, he tells us that Tommy shoots glitter. The dancers get extended intros as Adam reveals a little more about each. There is a huge roar at the end of IIHY as the fireworks light up the room. Adam finally gets some pyro! Monte plays the opening chords of Voodoo Child to pave the way for Purple Haze as the encore. It's a slower version than what we've heard before and Adam still has the lyrics on pieces of paper just in case. There's a Tommy tongue tickle, and after some crazy vocals and Monte's blistering solo, Adam is spent on the floor. We see him twitching, rejuvenated by the start of a fast-paced electric WLL. It has a long psychedelic instrumental break before it fully rocks out. It looks like he's about to fuck the guitar but he fondles the mic instead and belts out some unbelieveable notes. The tour couldn't have ended on a better high! I'll miss Glam Nation and all the fun we've shared along the way.

6 comments:

  1. I was there for this amazing performance and your comments fit perfectly what we experienced that night! I felt privileged to be there for this epic night - both saddened that it was his final performance of this tour but thrilled that I was there to witness it. I always enjoy your take on each of his performances. You've done a great job and it's appreciated! Now on to his Grammy win ... hopefully .. and much more. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to take this time to thank you sooo much for keeping up with this tour for the past six months. :* I'm sure (And I hope!) I'm not just speaking for myself here when I say, in all honesty, as amazing as they are, sometimes I'm just too 'lazy' to look these up on YT...It sounds awful putting it that way, though. I kinda kick myself for that. XD Anyway, all the work you have poured into this is very much appreciated. :) It sucks that I never got to see any of these shows, but they were all still indescribably breathtaking in one way or another, especially tonight.

    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I feel quite envious of anyone who went to these final concerts, you're so lucky! Looking forward to the next phase. With new stuff, it's going to be an exciting one.

    Autumn, you're very welcome! I guess since I'm such a big fan, I can understand what fans - especially the time-poor - want and need to see. Hope you can get to see some shows during the next tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. celtcwrtr, thank you! It was quite a special concert, so easy with the banter. How did it feel when those fireworks exploded? I imagine it must've been quite a rush to get that, then the hot hot encore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - HOTTT! You did it to me again. This version of WWFM brings tears to my eyes. This I have called my Rollercoaster Concert for obvious reasons. Think I'm getting hooked on your blog. (Denise)XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, thanks, this is my favourite WWFM from the tour. Hold on tight, this rollercoaster ride is about to get really exciting!

    ReplyDelete